Saturday, February 23, 2013

Big week ahead

Jerry and I are walking around the house holding our breath hoping nothing goes wrong as we wait for Zachary to be decannulated, medical-speak for getting the trach out. We think it may be very soon. We hope it is soon. It is like waiting for Christmas, but better, only with a fear that someone may decide to cancel Christmas at any moment.

I am trying not to get excited about the possibility of decannulation. I fear that if I get excited I will be faced with a huge disappointment if it does not happen. I am trying to breathe, trying to focus on the day in front of me, trying to not sit around and wait for Christmas, whenever that my be. It is hard not to think about it though.

From the moment Zachary received his trach we've been working toward getting rid of it, weaning the vent, first during the day, then at night.  Then weaning the oxygen, wearing speaking valves and now capping. The trach was supposed to help Zachary breathe and give him a chance to grow and develop. I believe the trach achieved those goals. Zachary is growing and he is learning. Zachary has come a long way and I am so proud of him.

I imagine a trach-free future for Zachary, full of swimming lessons, trips to the beach, splashing in the pool, and all the other things kids with trachs can't do.  I look forward getting out of the house without lugging emergency bags, suction machines, pulse oximeters, and oxygen tanks. I imagine a life that is a tad bit simpler and with a lot more closet space once the trach supplies are gone.

Getting the trach out will be a major accomplishment. We will keep you posted on Zachary's progress. I hope to have big news to report soon, very soon.  It's going to be a big week, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment